Friday, June 22, 2012

Inside Trail Marin 50 Course Preview

Jim Vernon did an awesome course preview of the Marin 50 trail run on June 30


I have run every inch of the trail :) in the last few months. My thoughts:

1) Is the course short? According to the Elevation chart it's 48.9 miles.  However, the section from Pan Toll up and around the tourist club and back to Muir Beach seems longer than 10 miles.  Also, the Dipsea Trail section that's been washed out for years (above Old Inn) has reopened.  Doing that section on Dipsea trail vs on road adds distance.  I think the course is at least 50 miles, if not a little over.  

2) Heather Cutoff is overgrown with Poison Oak (as usual). Redwood Creek was in the worse shape I'd ever seen it with overgrowth, and also full of Poison Oak.  

3) The Aid Stations are at least 7 miles apart, and they are all healthy "Jim" 7 miles with big climbs.  I'm planning on carrying my 2-L pack.

Random bathrooms and water fountains besides the Aid Stations
Conzelman road, outhouse
Port-a-Potty and hose with running water, right before Heather Cutoff
Hose at Zen Center (about 1/5 mile in from gate) at Muir Beach
Pan Toll (water, flush toilets)
Stinson Beach (deli)
Muir Woods before Fern Creek (water fountain)
Muir Woods after Dipsea (water fountain)
Port-a-Potty on fire road into TV

Why I think I'll do well?
I know the course extremely thoroughly, and have run all of it in the last month.
Training has gone well. I'm running hills (Coastal up to SCA) that I used to always walk.

Why am I nervous?
14K in climbing...gulp.
Weather in June could be quite warm in Marin (90s).  
No posted cutoffs--when are the aid stations closing

No comments:

Post a Comment